Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Record a Week: City of Caterpillar - City of Caterpillar



SIDE 1.
AND YOU'RE WONDERING HOW A TOP FLOOR COULD REPLACE HEAVEN
A HEART FILLED REACTION TO DISSATISFACTION
MINUTE-HOUR-DAY-WEEK-MONTH-YEAR (THE FAITH'S IN MY CHEST)

SIDE 2.
FUCKING HERO
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME WE PAINTED OVER THE BLOOD ON THE WALLS
A LITTLE CHANGE COULD GO A LONG WAYS
MAYBE THEY'LL GNAW RIGHT THROUGH YOU

I don't like cursing on here, so I considered blanking that out before I realized that's the name of the song.

City of Caterpillar was a band comprised of members of bands like pg99, Darkest Hour and near the end, Majority Rule. As I was into all of these bands, I thought I'd give them a chance. They took that hardcore and sometime 6/8 screamo sound and added the spacious ambient instrumental riffs. The shorter songs are straight up emo/screamo with great shots and yelling-style vocals. The longer songs are pieces of that mixed in with long melodic, dark guitar parts. It didn't take me long to warm to this record.

Sadly, though, like many bands from that scene, they broke up after far too short of a time playing together. They went on to form Malady, who was also good, but also put out one album then broke up. Also they formed Haram, who may still be around, but I don't think so.

The opening song of this album is one of those songs that just ropes me in. The combination of the energetic quick parts and the long drawn out build up leading to another energetic part. Good stuff right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment