Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Record a Week: John Denver - Poems, Prayers and Promises



SIDE 1.
POEMS, PRAYERS AND PROMISES
LET IT BE (Beatles)
MY SWEET LADY
WOODEN INDIAN
JUNK (McCartney)
GOSPEL CHANGES (Jack Williams)

SIDE 2.
TAKE ME HOME, COUNTRY ROADS
I GUESS HE'D RATHER BE IN COLORADO
SUNSHINE ON MY SHOULDERS
AROUND & AROUND
FIRE AND RAIN (James Taylor)
THE BOX

This is the type of album you don't want to put on when you are feeling a little down, as it may tip the scales towards a cry session. It is a beautiful piece of work, but the sombre tones could definitely bring you down a notch. On another note, it could provide good counterpoint in a romantic comedy in those musical interludes while the main character thinks about their screw-up. Well, that's a strange little window into the things that go through my head.

On another note, the song that has a place in my heart is Take me Home, Country Roads. It's a song my dad sang to us as kids and I still love to hear him sing it today. It's one of those songs that I heard him sing so many times, that I am far more familiar with his version of it than Denver's.

Denver's originals are great on this record and his covers are not too shabby, either. His Let it Be and Fire and Rain are particularly good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment