Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Record a Week: Femme Fatale - Fire Baptism



SIDE 1.
FIRE BAPTISM (Reprise)
BIG GAME HUMAN HUNTING
DANCE PARTY
STABBING VICTIM

SIDE 2.
COKEHEAD METABOLISM
TORMENTED BY DEMONS
BENTONOUVEAU MANIFESTO

As I talked about last week, this was actually the first recorded album, but the second release. The sound is not quite as refined, though it is still an aural assault in a short burst, true to JFK's form.

I don't like this album quite as much, although it is still pretty great. I think perhaps Al P hadn't quite wrapped his head around the best recording technique, or perhaps his studio wasn't as polished or the mastering wasn't as well done, but the sound quality isn't as excellent as the other albums.

I think the best songs are the last two of the whole record, and especially Bentonouveau Manifesto, which I can only imagine alludes to the ready-made sushi company of the same name.

It is bittersweet to listen to records like this. They remind me of a time seeing/playing lots of shows with these guys and what felt like a really great time for music, while reminding me that these bands are no longer and the bands that have moved in their place don't have the same feeling to me. Or more likely, I am just old.

No comments:

Post a Comment