Friday, May 18, 2012

A Record a Week: Gilbert & Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore (Performed by D'Oyly Carte Opera Company)


Well, I certainly have lagged a little bit and for this I apologize. Weekends have been busy and my schedule on the weekends has not been conducive to writing as much, but that should change now that my schedule is returning to normal a bit!












SIDE 1.
ACT I (a)

SIDE 2.
ACT I (b)

SIDE 3.
ACT II (a)

SIDE 4.
ACT II (b)

Ah, the H.M.S. Pinafore, or perhaps as Will Ferrell's Celebrity Jeopardy would say 'H.M. Spinafore'. Although that's not as amusing as the Penis Mightier, so maybe not.

The first think I think of when I hear this soundtrack is the Cape Fear episode of The Simpsons. That's the one where the Simpsons change their name to the Sampsons and Sideshow Bob stows away under their car when they join the witness relocation program. He steps on a bunch of rakes and follows them onto their houseboat, attempting to kill Bart, who stalls by getting him to sing this entire soundtrack. This is probably my favourite Simpsons episode, it was packed with laughs and included Kelsey Grammar belting out 'What, Never? No, Never!' along with Bart, minutes before sailing into the laps of the Springfield police department.

I've never seen this show live before, but after hearing this, I think I'd be interested in checking it out. The lyrics themselves are not terrific, but the music is fun and it being an opera, you don't really hear the words anyhow.

I've got another Gilbert & Sullivan later in the series, so perhaps that will send me running to the box office to check out one of their shows.


No comments:

Post a Comment