Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Record a Week: Lesley Gore - The Golden Hits of Lesley Gore


















SIDE 1.
IT'S MY PARTY
SHE'S A FOOL
JUDYS TURN TO CRY
JUST LET ME CRY
ALL OF MY LIFE
THAT'S THE WAY BOYS ARE

SIDE 2.
YOU DON'T OWN ME
MAYBE I KNOW
HEY NOW
LOOK OF LOVE
I DON'T WANNA BE A LOSER
SUNSHINE, LOLLIPOPS AND RAINBOWS

Before listening to this record I had NO idea that It's My Party and Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows were by the same person. Perhaps my knowledge of early 60's pop music is a little bit limited. No, that's definitely it. I always get angry when I notice that a record is out of alphabetical order, but I also don't want to leave any out...so here I am revisiting a 'G' title that was living amongst the 'H's.

You know the record label has limited confidence in the continuance of an artist's career if their 'Golden Hits' album comes out two years in. Perhaps this was to capitalize on the chart success while they could, that certainly seems like a thing that record labels did at the time. Also amusing, the jacket lists the mailing address for the Lesley Gore Fan Club. I wonder if a letter would be returned, or perhaps even acknowledged if sent there now? This sounds like a fun experiment. I will update if I ever get around to that.

Now down to the songs. They are typical pop formula songs, and they're done well. You have upbeat songs and songs of poppy sorrow, all containing similar lyrics. It's as if the lyrics were all written and then just plugged in. Why should the music behind 'it's my party and I'll cry if I want to' be any different than, say 'just let me cry'. In fact, most of the titles or themes of the album revolve around crying, loss, being a loser or a fool. All themes covered by most of the jukebox pop of that time period. It's My Party has lived on to this day (though not many people I know could tell you it was written by Gore) and Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows is known at the very least for being played in the Simpsons, both accidentally by Marge and Ruth, and purposefully by Homer and Chief Wiggum in the Thelma and Louise-themed episode.

I enjoyed this album. Not one I would necessarily seek out, but I would certainly be happy to hear a song or two come on the jukebox while I was getting a soda-pop at the beach in the summer.


EDIT: I received an email notifying me that the address on the back of the LP is no longer valid, but there is a fan club at http://www.lesleygorefanclub.com

No comments:

Post a Comment