Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Record a Week: Andre Kostelanetz and his Orchestra - Carnival Tropicana


















SIDE 1.
MALAGUENA
NO TABOLEIRO DE BAHIANA
LA CUMPARSITA
ADIOS

SIDE 2.
CAMINITO
YOURS (QuiƩreme Mucho)
SIBONEY
MEXICANA (Jarabe tapiato. Cielito Lindo, La Golandrina)

When I think of classical music, my mind usually goes European. However, this collection of Latin classical music is pretty great. Each side had at least one stretch that I instantly recognized, to the point where I was surprised I wasn't familiar with any of the titles when I looked at the cover. I couldn't tell anything that specifically set it apart from traditional classical music, but I suppose it's fairly universal in its roots and thus has similar themes wherever it originates.

The story of Andre Kostelanetz (at least according to Wikipedia) is an interesting one that had him escaping Russia during the revolution in the 20's and dying in Haiti in 1980, producing MANY records in between. His last listed one is Carmen, which I would love to hear. That's a beautiful piece and he did a great job with this one. Assuming he got himself someone wonderful to sing the aria, it would certainly be well worth a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment