Monday, April 15, 2013

A Record a Week: Roland Kirk - Volunteered Slavery




















SIDE 1.
VOLUNTEERED SLAVERY
SPIRITS UP ABOVE
MY CHERIE AMOUR
SEARCH FOR THE REASON WHY
I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER

SIDE 2.
ROLAND'S OPENING REMARKS
ONE TON
OVATION & ROLAND'S REMARKS
TRIBUTE TO JOHN COLTRANE - LUSH LIFE/AFRO-BLUE/BESSIE'S BLUES
THREE FOR THE FESTIVAL

Well, this was an interesting listen. Definitely my first foray into any field titled 'free jazz' or 'free improvisation', though I suppose jam bands are under the free improv category. The album is a mix of studio recordings and a 1968 appearance at the Newport Jazz Festival. Kirk plays several instruments on the album, including a trio of saxophones he modified to be able to play simultaneously/in quick succession and a nose flute, which he could play at the same time as his regular flute.

In fact, the highlight of this record for me was a couple of crazy flute solos where he was humming as he played the flute, which made for a unique sound. The whole sound of the record reminds me of that big horn sound of the early 1970's, a sound I wish I knew where to start with. Perhaps I should consult Mr. Greg Proops, who always fawns over this era of music on his podcast. I could nab some Ohio Players and see where things go from there.

It was interesting to listen to music from an era where seemingly everyone died at a young age. The last young musician to die was, who, Cobain? Dimebag Daryl? The Deftones bass player died, but that was from an accident and not his style of living. These days all the celebrities get a chance to make poor decisions and fade away slowly in the public eye. What a time we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment