Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Record a Week: Peggy Lee - Is That All There Is?

   
SIDE 1.
IS THAT ALL THERE IS?
LOVE STORY
ME AND MY SHADOW
MY OLD FLAME
I'M A WOMAN

SIDE 2.
BROTHER'S LOVE SALVATION SHOW
SOMETHING
WHISTLE FOR HAPPINESS
JOHNNY (LINDA)
DON'T SMOKE IN BED

You know something? This project has stirred up something of a taste in this style of music in me. It's a kind of music that stirs the hips even if you're not in the mood for dancing. It brings to mind girls with wonderful dresses and 60's hair, their hands sticking out at their hips and swaying side to side.

It's just good music. In the past, I think I've made the mistake of lumping it in with smooth Jazz or other type of easy listening. I mean it is easy listening, in that it's easy on the ears, but not in that K-Lite FM type of sound. Is that all there is was Lee's biggest success, song-wise and it features that wonderful chorus that pretty much everyone is familiar with. Her cover of The Beatles' Something is a wonderful gem on the B Side.

All in all, another wonderful diamond in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment